Full Stack Ruby Engineer
Our mission is to dramatically improve lives by changing the way the world creates and uses knowledge.
Launched in 2014 Covidence is a not-for-profit world leading SaaS platform. Our platform enables health and science research teams to rapidly synthesize and uncover actionable insights from the mountains of research produced around the world. We do this by accelerating a research workflow called ‘systematic review,’ the gold standard for synthesizing research evidence. Many of the world's most prestigious and innovative universities use Covidence.
Covidence is seeking a mid-level Full Stack Ruby Engineer to join our Product & Engineering team, reporting to an Engineering Team Lead.
In the past 2 years we’ve grown the engineering team from 3 to 13 members and we will continue to scale the team over the coming years. We’re keen to chat to you and learn about what talents you can bring to our team.
You’ll get to:
- Write code that thousands of researchers rely on everyday
- Contribute to making architecturally-sound engineering decisions
- Do engineering best practices like code review and pair programming
- Work to refine the team's processes to improve development, quality assurance, and delivery
- Work alongside a product manager and designer to help shape product specifications
- Be part of a small tight-knit, high-achieving team that values trust and respect for one another
What you bring:
- Experience in building and deploying in Ruby on Rails
- A keen interest in modern technologies such as React and PostgreSQL
- Great communication skills, both written and verbal
- A reasoned and pragmatic approach to software development and testing.
- A love of problem-solving, investigating problems and determining the appropriate fix
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Competitive salaries relevant to your experience level
- Remote team so you can live and work anywhere as long as you can offer a 4 hour workday crossover with the AEST timezone
- Work week flexibility - Full time, part time or explore a flexible arrangement with us that best suits you
- 4 weeks paid leave, an extra paid week off between Christmas and New Years Eve, and the option to purchase 3 more weeks pro rata
- Support for parents with 14 weeks paid primary carers leave and 8 weeks paid leave for partners
- Access to wellbeing services & programs
- A knowledge allowance so you keep learning and developing
- Monthly home allowance to set up and run your home office
We build new features to support our vision and at the same time modernise our technology for scale. Here’s a summary of our tech stack:
- Backend: Ruby on Rails, Ruby, PostgreSQL
- DevOps: AWS, Heroku
- Monitoring tools: Sentry, Datadog
- CI/CD experience: Buildkite
- Services Based Architecture
We don’t need you to be experienced in all of these technologies but some exposure would be desirable.
THE INTERVIEW PROCESS
If you are interested in this opportunity, please hit APPLY and send us through your details. We’ll be back in touch with you promptly. Should we proceed further you can expect 3 rounds of interviews:
- Round 1: 30 min Zoom interview for us to get to know each other
- Round 2: 60 min Zoom interview diving into your technical and team experiences
- Round 3: 90 Minute Zoom technical interview featuring your choice of a take-home activity, a pairing activity, or show us some of your open-source code
In a hurry? We can speed this process up if needed - just let us know!
Reimagining a world shaped by the best evidence possible.